Travelling at 40

                                                




                                                        This past October, I took a trip to South Africa for part 3 of my 40th birthday.  I'm grateful that I was able to take the trip because it was an eye-opening experience for me. I'm not writing specifically about my trip, but about things, I realized whilst travelling. Travelling at 25 is very different from travelling at 40. Here are a few of my observations and thoughts.

1. Spend the money on experiences: I know it might not be the best advice considering economically everything is in shambles. But, if you want to take a trip then save up for it. (depending on your financial situation. If you don't have to blink twice when you spend money then fine but if you do...)  Don't penny-pinch on the experience. Spend the money. As my friend told me you will always make the money back. Of course, go prepared when you travel but if extra expenses come up which they always do, spend the money. If whilst travelling an opportunity comes for you to check out another place, why not go. This may be a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Go to that restaurant you want to try, and pay to visit that hotspot you have heard so much about. Take on experiences, that's the whole point of travel.  It doesn't help when we are told that we should pay our bills, and put money away, and if you spend your own money you are made to feel guilty. Let me remind you, your salary is a REWARD for working hard. Be responsible, pay your bills, and put money away, but don't forget to REWARD yourself.







2. Pay for accommodation: I remember growing up, whenever we travelled as a family, we made sure we visited places where we knew someone so we could stay with them. Yeah, that's all great and dandy but if you are going to travel then pay to stay in the hotel, pay to stay in a hotel apartment, or pay to stay in the Airbnb. We are grown now, we have our habits, and we have our little idiosyncracies, why would you want to feel compelled to stay in someone's space? I know it's affordable but I don't want to have to watch my Ps and Qs. I have certain habits that are unique to me and maybe bothersome to someone else. So why would I put someone through that? Also, just for the sake of privacy, and the freedom to do as you please. I'm not one to walk around naked in my own home. Only because I share my place with my sister. But having my own place in South Africa, I felt so liberated. I was walking around naked and not worried someone will walk in. I watch Nigerian movies before bed and I didn't have to worry that I am disturbing someone else. (These are my tips for Solo travellers) I would also say, it teaches you to enjoy your own company. I live with my sister and as much as it's great to have someone at home, there are some times you just want your own space. You want to be alone and this allows you that. Also, the risk of someone eating your leftovers from the restaurant is slim to none. Don't get me wrong I still stay with family when I travel to some places but not all family members or friends. But God knows, in the future, for most of my travel I will make it a point to stay in my own place when I can.



3. Choice of Accommodation: I love hotels, anyone close to me knows, that from time to time I book myself into a hotel in my city and I have a one-day staycation. I love the fact that you walk into a room with a nicely laid bed you didn't have to lay, you don't have to worry about using the same towel over and over again because they will change it for you. Using amenities you may not have in your own home. But, for longer trips, I would say get the Serviced apartments or Hotel Apartment option. Let me explain why? If you are going to be staying away from home for over a week, a hotel is great, but you miss simple things like eating homecooked meals and having divisions between the bedroom,  bathroom, and living area. I love to eat out quite a bit but I also can be somewhat frugal and I don't want to always have to spend money eating out. When I went to South Africa, I stayed at a Serviced apartment and I loved it. It was a home away from home. I had a one-bedroom apartment and it was affordable. The place is called Park Central, I suggest you book https://www.booking.com/  if you plan to visit Johannesburg.  I had a living area, a fully functional kitchen with Smeg Appliances, a bedroom, and a huge bathroom that had a shower and a tub separately. I had a lot of closet space. 

I used grocery delivery therefore for breakfast I could make something to eat. One evening I was able to make dinner for my friend and me.  I did laundry every night because I had a washing machine within my unit. (which is a luxury I do not have at home because I share the laundry room with other tenants) I felt like I was home. So it didn't make me so nostalgic for home. Moreover the upside, every day, I got my bed laid, my dishes washed and my garbage disposed of. Since I was staying for over a week, I had my place deep cleaned once. In 2021 I visited Capetown and we stayed at a Service Apartment. That place offered more services such as full cleaning of the apartment and daily towel changes. But those are the perks of serviced apartments for long stays. And if you have a little bit more money, some even offer a personal chef.

                                              

4. It's ok to have a quiet day: Especially when you are travelling to a place you have never been. It is normal to want to be able to fill up your days and nights with experiences and activities. But also remember, we are not 25 years old. I do not care how active you are, or if you have the mind of a 20-year-old but, recovery at 40 is different than it was at 21. I know if I have a late night I need a full day of recovery.  Remember our lives are busy and the reason to vacation is to take a break from the busyness. It does not mean piling up your vacation time with activities and late nights in the club. (If you are one who has the strength to do that, then do you boo). At least have one day of rest. A day where you either relax in your place of stay. If it has a pool, lay by the pool, stay in bed or take a long bath. Just something to recuperate. Order take out, read a book, listen to jazz as I am doing as I write this post or something that you consider rest. Travelling to Johannesburg, my journey was literally 2 days. (long layover in Paris) As soon as I got in, it was nonstop movement. I remember finally climbing into bed by 3:30am the day I arrived after arriving on Friday at 7am. Saturday we spent it out all day and out till late. By Sunday I started coming down with a cold or the flu or whatever. The tiredness had worn me out. But I cherished the recovery days I just allowed myself to veg. It was so relaxing by the time I came back to Canada I was fully rested. Remember a vacation means rest so there is no shame in resting. 



5. Upgrade your seat on the plane: This is one lesson I have to learn. The next time I'm travelling for more than 6 hours I'm paying for economy plus or business class. On my way to Joburg, I was in a three-seater lane. It was a full flight and I had two people sitting next to me. Normally I don't mind, but I was sitting next to this really big guy who was pretty much sitting on my seat. I ended up sitting at an angle. Immediately, when I noticed my discomfort, I knew, that if I continued to sit there, by the time we land my back would have seized up and that in itself would be a medical emergency due to the scoliosis I battle with. I immediately flagged a flight attendant to see if I could change seats. Thankfully I got this amazing flight attendant who didn't rest until he found me a two-seater. I moved next to a girl who thankfully was tiny and we both sat comfortably throughout the flight. If I had spent a little bit more money maybe on an Economy plus seat or Business class I wouldn't have had this trouble.  I know it's expensive to fly business class, especially when travelling during peak times. Trust me I know, but if you buy tickets well in advance, it can be somewhat affordable. You can get a business class seat for the price of an Economy seat during peak times. Sometimes, if you are a rewards member of your favourite airline they have discounted rates for upgrades after you buy an economy seat, or if you are a frequent flyer your points can help you get an upgraded seat. If you can't afford it, sometimes in economy class ,there is a small fee to get a two-seater seat, seats with extra leg room or a bulkhead seat. They make a difference. Listen, I'm not trying to be a prophet of doom and gloom to remind you that you are older but, our bodies are not what they used to be. Being uncomfortable is not worth it. Pay for the comfort. Your body will thank you. 

6. Pay for the Airport lounge: I can't say this enough, use the airport lounge/business class lounge. Especially for long layovers. If you are fortunate to have lounge access, because of your seat choice, or credit card benefits then great use it. If not there are many companies like Priority Pass that offer yearly memberships to use their lounges at various airports. Some airlines such as Air France will let you pay a fee to use their lounges. If you have a long layover, those uncomfortable chairs at the gate make it unbearable to sit for long periods of time. Although some big airports offer comfortable places to sit, most of those areas fill up quite quickly leaving no room to lounge. The cost of food at the airport might as well fund a small country. Bottle of water for $10? no thank you. Sometimes there are not a lot of great options for food. And if you are like me, I love to shower as soon as I land and some of the showers at the airport come at a cost. When you put all those costs together you end up spending more money than you would if you spent it on the airport lounge. The lounge comes with a free unlimited buffet, drinks of all types from hot to cold drinks, different types of alcohol, and comfortable seating. Some lounges offer free showers and it is fully stocked so all you need is your change of clothes. I would say it is worth your investment, especially if you are transiting.  Trust me on this, it makes a huge difference. Lastly, if the lounge is not your thing, some airports within the terminal have hotels you can book for a few hours. Such as Yotel or hotels by the airport using websites such as Dayuse.





7. Have fun: The last point is to go and enjoy yourself. You've spent all this money, you have longed to get away might as well enjoy yourself.  If you are going on vacation, this is not the time to be on a diet. Have dessert with every meal if need be if you have a sweet tooth. Drink that glass of wine every night or day. Eat at restaurants you know you would enjoy your food. Try different cuisines. Be adventurous. I spent a night in Paris on my way back from Johannesburg but unfortunately, I was too tired to do anything. But I can say one thing I did,  I went to a Parisian cafe, and ordered a sandwich, with a rich cup of Chocolat Chaud and a lemon meringue tart. At that moment, I wasn't thinking of how carb-heavy it was or all that sugar, I just wanted to enjoy the moment. And boy oh boy I did. It was an orgasmic experience. I knew once I get back home, I would go back to eating well and exercising. Life is too short not to be enjoyed. Go and enjoy. Even if it's a work trip and time doesn't allow you to do much if you can steal away an hour to go on a walk and enjoy the city, or go to a cafe and have that meal you have been craving. We've endured so much these past two years for us to think we have time. Go and live, and when you get back home you can work your butt off to reclaim the time. 

                                              


I hope my tips helped, but hey these are my thoughts. You can always decide to do what you want. But live and let live. The world is big, make it a point to see it.




Sending you love and light

xoxo

A.P.W

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts