When are we going to unite?

Hey people, I know it has been a while since I wrote my blog. Yeah a little bit of laziness, a little bit of trying to get on my feet and a little bit of self assessment, a little bit of everything.But I am not here to talk about what has been keeping me busy or why I haven't written my blog. Today I am a little bit upset. Ok, I am plenty upset. I am about to go into detail a little bit. It's amazing how sometimes a little thing can motivate us to do things, or to speak up or to become "woke"

Anyways, so this afternoon, I have been running around running errands with my sister and my mom and my sister parked the car to go into a store whilst my mom and myself sat in the car waiting. Unfortunately, my sister didn't park very well so she parked very closely to a car. As my mom and I were sitting in the car this lady, black lady walks up to the car we had parked closely too and was trying to get into the drivers side. As she squeezed in she opens the car door and hits our passenger car door quite hard and you could hear it bang, she does not even acknowledge hitting our car and then quickly drives off. At that point I got mad. I didn't even have the chance to say anything. She doesn't even apologise for hitting our car, neither does she even cuss us out for parking close, her retaliation is to damage our car. Now I am not a hypocrite, sometimes we all want to be petty but then it would have been better for her to have even complained and said "Yo! I can't get into my car you guys parked too close or something".  The thing is, I know it might not be a big issue but it made me realize this, black women are our own worst enemy.  Yes I said it! and I don't care if black women around the world hate me for saying this but yes, I said it. I am not saying other races of women are not their own worst enemy, I am not saying that women in general are not at fault. But, I can only speak on my race because I know. I am a black woman and yes I can and have been petty. Yes! I have hated on other women, for jealous selfish reasons, yes! I have spoken badly about other women. I am not sitting here calling myself a saint. I am a far cry from a saint. I am a woman trying to live a life as Christ like as possible but I am  a sinner and I do fall and I am not perfect but every time I pray, I ask for grace and mercy from God. I pray repentantly and pray I do not commit my sins again but then again, I give in to my weaknesses and fall. But we are not here for me to write up my sins I am here to talk about why as black women we are our own worst enemy. So bare with me as I go into detail.

I am not oblivious to what is going on in the world today. I watch the news, the trials of the black race have been going on since the beginning of time. It is only seeming worse or maybe it is worse because of the age of technology and social media. It is in our faces more than it was before. Also, thankfully as we go through these trials we are becoming "woke" so we are becoming more aware of our problems and issues than we did before and it is becoming problematic. I see that in the U.S it is become so blatantly disgusting how bad the race war has become. I am not saying its not happening in Canada. Yes it is, but it is not as blatant. Again I digress, my point is this, we are living in a world where we are being oppressed, killed, looked down on in 2016.Where a female black doctor is not allowed to attend to a dying patient because she has to show her credential to a flight attendant. Where black women constantly have to prove why they are not the angry black woman. Why the black woman has to defend to black men why she is worthy to be with a black man. The list goes on and on and on. The point is this, this is not a time for black women to hate on one another , This is not a time for us to look down on one another. We are quick to give the other the once over and quick to diss each other about our outfits. We are quick to fight each other for petty issues, or over a man. We are quick to talk bad about one another. We are quick to see our fellow woman doing well and quick to say she slept her way to the top. Even in the work place we are quick not to help one another rise to the top because we are worried that they will bypass us. When we see our girl has found a man we are quick to go into CIA, FBI mode to see who she is dating and what dirt we can dig up on her new man or quick to spread rumours about the girl. We are quick to give attitude to one another over anything and everything.  When we see a girl getting male attention we are quick to call her a hoe. Light skin, dark skinned woman against each other.  We do not want to give a compliment to a sister when we see her doing well because we are envious. I can go on and on and say what is wrong but I do not want to go on and on making us look bad.

Now, this might be a generalization, but at the end of day, I am not saying all black women are bad. No! of course not, but at the end of the day, how do we expect to solve the problems in our race. I see there are women every day cheering their next woman along. I have seen black women on social media standing by Tamika Cross who faced discrimination on the delta airline flight. We have black sororities promoting sisterhood and helping each other. I am seeing more girls helping their fellow girls and women rise up. But, at the end of the day there is more we can do. We need to band together so that we can't allow other people to  come between us or even ourselves. When your friend is speaking ill of another girl we need to stop encouraging such talk. We need to be helping each other rise up in the the corporate world and also supporting our friends in their businesses. We have to be quick to say well done to one another. I mean when we see each other on the street, we should give each other a smile and compliment each other. When your friend is succeeding or a fellow black woman is succeeding we need to keep cheering her on. When your friend finds a man even if our friend is trifling or whatever let us not go digging up her past or trying to make her look bad in front of her man. We should learn to give productive feedback to one another instead of criticizing and judging each other. Let us stop letting these lost black men sit there and say black women are angry and petty that is why they won't date us. I mean men like that we can't help but then we can show them why they look stupid for thinking like that instead of giving us reason to think that we are.

Our daughters are looking at us, our nieces, a lot of young women are looking at us and if we are not living a life where we are unified and strong then they will be quick to raise their fellow sister up.

As I said, not all of us are like that, but if we are honest with each other, we've all in some way some form have been a disloyal sister to our own. We have all done a little bit of something to make ourselves look bad to other people. But, it not too late, Things can change, things can improve. The fight is not over, but we can start from somewhere. In 2016, black women are winning all over the world. Recently my sister from another mother Roberta Annan was the youngest person to receive African leadership award. Her photo was all over Times Square in NYC. The  black women at the Olympics  were getting medals like it was going out of style. We have black women in Hollywood winning awards and getting lead roles on TV shows and movies. Black women are graduating from universities with highest honours. Black women are winning like crazy and we need to start raising ourselves up, encouraging and building each other up. Instead of hating on your sister be inspired by her. Let her success be a driving force for you to attain success. Talk to her and ask her to show you how she did it. And also if you are winning don't keep your knowledge to yourself. Share with your fellow sisters, give a hand to a sister that is down so she can get on top too. Yes life is a race but its not about who gets to the finish line first its about how you run the race. I have been reading my bible a lot and listening to Joyce Meyers and other preachers and one thing I have learnt is this, God blesses us all, but its how we use our blessings. If God has blessed you it is so you share your blessings with others. So they may also see God's glory .  What's the point of having all this and not sharing with others.

Anyways, this is my little rant. As I said, I am not a saint, I have fallen so many times and I am guilty of many of the things I have stated but, I am also learning that I should do better and be better so that those around me can be better. So you may or not be in agreement with what I am saying. I am hoping some of you disagree and then will share your thoughts and opinions. But if you do agree with me and you assess your life and see you are guilty of the things I have stated , then I am here to tell you its not too late, you can change, you can be better. We can stand up and be better women. As I said I am not saying that other races don't do the same, women in general we are our own worst enemy but I can only speak as a black woman and I pay attention more to what we black women do than what other women do. Because, I am a reflection of my black sister. So how I behave is a reflection of how people see other black women. Recently I was talking to a friend of mine and he is an African American man. We were talking about the elections and how it is such a farce. Anyways, he said something that stuck to me. He said ahh well, I am a black man, so the world views white americans differently than african americans. Which is true, we should see each other as individuals than as  a collective group But, unfortunately people will always put us in a box as one instead of an individual.

Anyways to my lovelies, I hope I didn't ruffle too many feathers and if I did well, I hope you paid attention to what I said.

Wishing you the best day ever.

Lots of Love
xoxo
A.P.W


Comments

Popular Posts