Selling myself short

Hello my fellow readers!!!!!

I know its been so long since I wrote. I mean I just realized my last blog was on Palm Sunday and its been 2 months and a few days since my last one. I really apologize. I have had a lot on my plate and I promise to share it with you.

So as you guys know, I got laid off but, I was given a month to find a new job or else I will be terminated. Well unfortunately that did not happen so I got terminated. It has been a blessing to be honest, not having to go back to my  job. From what my ex co workers are telling me, things have gotten hard. I also heard on the news that the company is laying off about 2000 employees so at least I can rest assured it had nothing to do with me but it was just general lay offs. I am currently looking for work and I have faith that work will come really soon. At least before summer starts so I can have some money to enjoy my summer.

Anyway, so I had surgery, major surgery at that. As you know I suffered from fibroids and it was getting unbearable to function. Surgery happened in April and I can say surgery went well.
Today marks  6 weeks since I had surgery. I can say recovery was rough. Anyone who has had a open myomectomy or a c-section trust me I feel your pain. It was torture. I can't even begin to explain how painful recocery was but thankfully, as week three came along, it got easier. Now I can say I am glad I did it because it was the fastest way to lose weight.  Talk about lack of appetite. I was basically forced to eat and even if I did I would take a bite and leave the rest. I woke up one morning put on my clothes looked in the mirror and said daaamnnn all I had to do was stop eating? It used to be a broken heart back in my twenties but now in my thirties I think that don't work anymore. Ain't no crush I've had on any guy in my 30s that  has caused me to be that brokenhearted for me to want to stop eating lol. Anyway, so I'm feeling myself small. Those who have seen my instagram page can attest that my selfie game is stronger and also it helps having an LG phone that has an amazing selfie feature. If you have an lg 4 you know about the selfie camera. So it was 6 weeks of recovery and my doctor gave me the all clear so I'm back in the gym on Monday, because the best time to start going back to the gym is a Monday.  Maybe I should wait till June 1st so then its legit. New month new me lol

Well another major thing is we are moving apartments. OMG, I hate hate hate hate packing. I mean its the most tortuous annoying thing to do. The beauty about having surgery is and having my  mom around is that, she has done most of the packing. All we really need to do is pack up my room and little bits and pieces and we are ready to go. I keep praying Lord let me win the lottery so I can just send all our stuff to salvation army and then buy new stuff. Then pay people to set up our place and all I will do is lay on the couch and point and say put this here put that here. Did I mention in my fantasy that  it will be buff looking men with oil rubbed over their chest as they set up my new apartment! yeah so we are moving and I'm not excited about the work involved but at least it is a better location and even more accessible to the subway, to the mall and to the grocery store.

Back to my topic, during my job search, I often look at roles that I think I will most likely will be hired for. The minute I look up the job description and I see something I have not done before as a qualification I do not apply. I do not know if it is an insecurity or it is being humble or being stupid I don't know. Last week, one of my girlfriends she is more of a big sister from my uni days, said I should come over to her place so we can work on my resume. She wants me to apply for a position that she works in at her company. Being the person that she is, she sends me a job posting for a role that is damn near managerial. I immediately message her and say are you sure I can do this?  Anyway, I go over to her place, as we sit behind her laptop with a glass of wine. (I had been dying for some for so long) We went over the job description, she pointed out how easy the job really was and it pretty much calls for common sense. She said even some of the things in the role she doesn't even know what it means but yet she is in the role. She said I am telling you I honestly think you are above this role. I am not even going into the nitty gritty of our conversation but in summation she told me, stop looking at what you can"t do and see what you can do. At the end of the day don't let anything scare you from doing anything. What you don't know how to do say you can't and someone will teach you. Some of the most successful people in the world did not know a lot about the jobs they are in but they learnt on the job. What we as women do is sell ourselves short. It is almost a crime to say I can do it. Some of us women are afraid to show our worth because it makes us seem like we are "bitches' or too strong. Especially growing up, we were taught not to toot our own horn. We were taught not to sound boastful. You come off as "too known" so you have to humble yourself. What we fail to realize is that... we are doing ourselves more harm than good. She really gave me a good talking to. She said she learnt to stop selling herself short and even if she doesn't know she learnt to bullshit her way.

Anyway, I do not want to go on and on about self worth and selling ourselves short. But, I just want to say to my women out there. There is nothing we can't do. Even if you do not know how to do it immediately, with time and determination you will learn how to do it. I remember, when I was speaking to a lawyer about my severance package, she told me are you saying you can't find yourself a regular customer service job? I was offended by her statement. I am not saying customer service is bad. But, I had been in that role for 2 years and I hated it. I needed that Almighty "canadian experience" so I did it to gain it. I realized that I can do more than customer service and I was done with settling for just anything. But, then I go home and start looking for roles that I think I can do instead of jobs that I know I can do because I am worthy of it. My job search has been very different lately and I pray that God will touch a recruiters' heart to pull my resume and give me a chance to prove that I am a great employee.

Well its 11:33pm. Waaaayyy past my bed time. I promise to write more often. You will definitely hear from me once we move. For now, thanks for your patience especially to all those who kept prompting me to write another entry. It warms my heart that some people enjoy my blog.

God bless you all

lots of love
xoxo

A.P.W


Comments

Popular Posts