An Ode to Black Kings


Hello Blogosphere, 


I am sure if you have been paying attention you would have heard that the world lost Nipsey Hussle. I wasn't really familiar with his music or his philanthropic work.; as well as how invested he was in his community. But I know of Lauren London because I've watched movies she has been in and enjoyed watching her in the tv series "The Game". Regardless of my familiarity with him or not, I was heartbroken that another black man is lost to a senseless crime. Another burial, another black mother, wife, sister, brother, father, child, cousin, friend and community have to bury a king. A senseless crime that culminated in a ripple effect of hurt and pain that will last a lifetime. All for what?

If you are like me, you are also sick and tired of us having to lose our black men. Every day on the news someone is shot and killed. If it's not the police killing our men, or a racist person then it is our own that ends up pulling the trigger. I am sick and tired of it all. Even here in Canada, especially in Toronto, black boys, black men killing each other senselessly. Last year, my sister and I were home when we heard gunshots ring right outside our balcony only to hear sirens blaring only to find out that another black man had lost his life. I mean come on now, isn't it enough?
                                                             
Black men you were born to be kings, you were born powerful, you were born to be leaders, trendsetters and pacesetters. You were born to shake up the earth with your beauty, your strength, your hearts and everything you have. You were born to be protectors, lovers, providers, inventors, fathers, sons. You were born with greatness inside of you that only can be explained by God. How do you look at your fellow brother and feel the need to kill him? He is not a threat he is your brother and you are meant to rule together.

The world is scared of you, they know what you possess and that is why they do everything they can to defeat you. Your black women adore you, we fight for you, we birth your likeness every day. We shed tears for you, we feel your pain when you hurt and we turn into lionesses after prey to fight whatever hurt you. You are our protectors but when you can't protect we take up the mantle and fight for you.

If you know me well you know how passionate I am about the black man. I am sometimes told that you love them so hard but they don't love you back. But one thing I've learnt, my love is unconditional. How can I not love a black man when my father my brother, my extended family, my friends and those around me are black men. I see the power of a black man every day. My protectors have been black men. So how can I not love them when they have loved me back and loved me hard.

I am not here to say any other race is not worthy and that other men don't face their own challenges. I know that and accept that but in a world where my black man's life is endangered my loyalty is to them.

My heart bleeds for anyone who has had to bury a loved one especially at the prime of their life. But it bleeds especially for the lives of our black men. Men who are supposed to lead, build, teach, be examples for their communities and their homes. Too many women burying their men, too many sons being raised without their fathers. Daughters who won't have their dad's walk them down the aisle. Women who won't feel the touch of their lovers. Mothers and fathers who won't see their sons become the men they raised them to be and siblings who won't have a sibling to share childhood memories with.
                                                                   

I am going to use my platform, to always lift up the black man. I am saying it here, I love you my black kings, my brothers. My future husband will be a black man and he will be constantly reminded that he is loved and I need him, our children need him, the community needs him. The world needs him.

Sending love and light especially to my Black Kings
xoxo
A.P.W

Comments

Popular Posts